I didn’t promise the twins that I would finish these dresses in time for Easter, so I was careful to call them springtime dresses before they were done. Turns out, I finished them prior to Easter Vigil, so the twins did, in fact, get Easter dresses. Not too bad for sewing what was essentially four tops and two skirts in about three weeks (working after kids had gone to bed and a little on weekends).
The outer fabric is a very thin cotton jersey knit that needed a lining. Since the skirt is so ruffled, it didn’t need lined, but the top certainly did. To make it easy, I drafted a raglan sleeve pattern based on their measurements, and checked against a t-shirt to figure out where to put the arm seams. The part that took me the longest was figuring out how to get the sleeves sewn together so that the seam was hidden. Here’s how I did it (but I’m sure there’s an easier way).
The other techinque I finally got to work was running a gathering stitch. Usually, I use thousands of pins and sub-divide repeatedly. Since the skirts are the full width of the fabric, this would have taken hours and not really have looked that great. This time, by setting my tension at almost zero, I was able to pull the thread easily and get some pretty decent gathers.
Easter dresses for the twins that should get a lot of use this spring and summer given how comfy they are and how easy it is to put them on. Since it was such a quick and easy project (once I figured out the sleeves…), I may have to work with Yakum to sew her a similar dress.